Total Pageviews

Wednesday 31 January 2018

R.E.D January

Over the last month, I've taken part in R.E.D January, running ever day to raise awareness of mental illness and as part of a Vegan Runners Manchester team, funds for Mind Charity 




I'm not a marathon or ultra runner, I concentrate on completing shorter distances as fast as I can,  regular 5K and perhaps half a dozen 10K's in a year, my training doesn't involve high mileage.  In any given month I'd average around 50 - 60 miles maximum based on three to four runs per week.  Running every day and completing 100 miles has been a challenge for sure, but an enjoyable, rewarding challenge and a significant personal achievement. 



I say enjoyable, there have been days in the last 31, particularly when the weather has been especially inclement, (which it most certainly can be in Nort West England) where I literally had to drag myself out, but having taken on R.E.D January, failure to complete wasn't an option. 





The challenge has been a month of education, learning how my body works and reacts, bizarrely, running every day has highlighted the importance of rest and recuperation.  I have been guilty in the past of treating every training run like a race and that just doesn't work.  Yes, I've run hard on numerous occasions, parkrun course P.B's at both Oldham and Huddersfield and my fastest 10K on a particular route home from work have shown the benefits of regular running, but the hard days have been accompanied by short runs and various slower, different tempo runs.  On days I've felt really tired after a faster run, I've found a gentle paced run the following day has led to me feeling less tired
rather than more.

I'm still relatively new to this sport, with a lot to learn.  As someone who doesn't tend to listen and accept advice especially well, learning generally by my own mistakes, R.E.D January has been educationally invaluable, while supporting a brilliant cause, which you can still donate towards at the link below.   

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/manchesterveganrunners

Two years ago, I would never have contemplated taking on a challenge of this nature.  I'd started running early in 2016, but the thought of a full month out on the road would have been a number of steps too far. 

Turning vegan in September 2016,  joining Vegan Runners at the end of that year and being inspired by my fellow Veagn Runners is simply the biggest factor in my running progression. 

No comments:

Post a Comment